SPRING NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE
The bargaining team has met several times since January and has conducted extensive surveys of our membership.
The team submitted the demand to bargain on January 30th and the association developed a proposal. This proposal included:
• changes to classroom visitation language,
• additions/improvements to the non-instructional duties language,
• implementation of a labor/management committee,
• changes/improvements to the language about teaching outside your certification area,
• changes/improvements to standard work week language: meetings outside the work day, parent-teacher conferences, and additional workdays,
• changes to sick leave language (specifically, doctor’s note),
• sick leave buy-out for tiers 3 & 4, and • salary increase – no insurance changes.
The team has communicated regularly with the district and it was clear they were not to bargain. A meeting was finally scheduled and held on March 21st. This was not a bargaining session, but a discussion of issues. During the meeting, the team and e-board spent the day talking with the district about the multitude of issues that came up in the surveys.
The team had hoped to meet with the district prior to the end of the school. As there are 6 days left in the year and a meeting has not been scheduled – this does not seem likely. This process will likely move into the fall.
You, the members, are a crucial factor in a successful bargain. We will have more information available for you during fall in-service and continue to watch for updates as we work to bargain a contract that respects and honors the work you do every day in the classroom for the children of the NWABSD.
Your Negotiations Team,
Tracy Bell, Sam Dutton, John McLaurin, Sadie Tollman, Sharon Hulley
Hedy Eischeid, NEA-Alaska UniServ Director
Social (all are invited)
General Membership Meeting